Thursday, April 14, 2011

Goodfellas (1990)

5 / 5
Tagline:  Three Decades of Life in the Mafia.
Directed by:  Martin Scorsese
Written by:  Nicholas Pileggi
Actors include:  Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci
Genre:  Crime, Drama, Thriller
Length:  146 minutes
Banned:  Nope




Review:
I never did get around to seeing this until just recently and I'm so glad I did for I completely get why it's regarded as one of the best films of all time.  Why?  Because I think you'd have to be pretty hateful to not enjoy it as it has something for anyone!  It's based upon the true story of Henry Hill, a gangster who starts out young and ends up extremely thick in the Mob.  It's really easy to follow, the characters are unforgettable, the violence is supreme the relationships between the characters are gripping as is the story.  The ruthlessly needless violent character of Tommy (Joe Pesci) is difficult to watch and he just brings the whole element of doom to the film.  Watching Henry rise from a young lad who runs errands to working his way up to the big time is fascinating and it even answers questions that I've had about how the Mob runs and everything else (not that I'm thinking of joining).  For those who don't like mobsters and stuff there is even the romantic element as part of this takes place through Henry's wife and her reactions to things.  I can't say enough good things about but I can say if you haven't seen it, don't be a fool go and watch it now!
Availability:  On Blu-Ray & DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment