Thursday, April 14, 2011

Black Swan (2010)

3 / 5 Jan '11
Tagline: N/A
Directed by: Darren Aronofsky
Written by: Mark Heyman
Actors include: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Barbara Hershey
Genre: Thriller, Drama
Length: 108 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
I was actually really excited about getting to see this, the first movie I'd seen in the theatre in a long time, but I thought it was quite disappointing. Yes, it's about ballet, lots of ballet, I now know the plot to Swan Lake (yay me). I seems like it's attempting to be like The Wrestler in that it's showing the dark side of ballet but this is more about obsession and striving to be perfect. Natalie Portman plays a ballerina selected to play the lead role of the swan both the dark sides and the light, the dark she has more trouble with. Mila Kunis plays another ballerina who is more on the dark side and is free spirited. The most interesting part was demented Mom to Portman Erica Sayers (Barbara Hershey who appears to have had bad plastic surgery), but it wasn't enough to keep it interesting. I do give credit for some of the effects in this, and conceptually it was kinda neat, it just didn't deliver and I thought it was insanely disappointing. Most people seem to adore this one, and I know I'm in the minority but I'd say if you want a good thriller this isn't it, if you want a strange ballet film then proceed.

Availability:  Not on DVD & Blu-Ray yet

No comments:

Post a Comment