Saturday, May 7, 2011

Klute (1971)

3 / 5 May '10
Tagline: One man is missing. Two girls lie dead. ...and someone breathing on the other end of the phone
Directed by: Alan J. Pakula
Written by: Andy Lewis, David P. Lewis
Actors include: Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Charles Cioffi
Genre: Mystery, Drama, Thriller
Length: 114 minutes
Banned: Nope




Review:
I expected a heck of a lot more from this, especially since I loved The Parallax View (which is part of a trilogy with this film I believe). The acting in this was excellent, kudos to Jane Fonda on her role of Bree Daniels, a prostitute who is frank and yet still classy in some way. She goes about her daily life quite honestly despite the fact that she puts out for money. Soon she meets John Klute (Donald Sutherland) who becomes her protector and love interest. See Bree has been getting some strange phone calls and we can see there is someone lurking in her attic. The thing is, they don't do much of anything with the thriller plot...honestly it's all a character study and lots of talking and sex. In that regard if you want to see lots of Fonda then you'll think this is awesome. I didn't care, and I kept waiting for something...anything to happen and really not a heck of a lot did. If I went into this thinking it was a drama than I probably wouldn't have been disappointed because that's all it really was. I like the actors, didn't care about the characters and the plot is nearly nonexistent, not at all what I had hoped for.

Availability:  On DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment